The words “healthy” and “comfort food” may not seem to go hand in hand, but you can enjoy your favorite comfort foods without sacrificing your healthy lifestyle. Here are a few healthier versions of comfort food!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
French fries are often packed with sodium and fat. Try these baked sweet potato fries, which are more nutritious and just as delicious!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 450° F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and place in oven to heat up.
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch sticks. Add to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheets.
- Bake fries, turning once and rotating pans once, for 15 to 25 minutes until edges are lightly browned and centers are tender. Serve fries with a sprinkle of salt on top.
Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
If you have a craving for pasta, try this recipe for spaghetti squash and meatballs!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs. lean ground pork
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. parsley finely chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Split the squash in half and scrape out seeds. Season the spaghetti squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place flesh side down and roast for 30 to 40 minutes until fully cooked. Remove from the oven and let rest.
- Once cool enough to handle, scrape the strands of squash from the inside of the skin. Serve with meatballs below.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Mix the meat, egg, and seasonings together in a large bowl. Form into even-sized meatballs (about two tablespoons each) and place them on the lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Slow-Cooker White Chicken Chili
This recipe for white chicken chili is healthy, easy to put together, and delicious, so try it next time you want chili!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Add all ingredients except cheese and sour cream or Greek yogurt to your slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- With thirty minutes left of cooking time, add the sour cream or Greek yogurt and cheese and stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking.
- Garnish with additional sour cream or Greek yogurt, cheese, and cilantro before serving if desired.